Why Someone Need to Hide File
How to Show Hidden Folder in Android? Everyone can have their own reasons to hide file. Like if my mobile is switched off and I borrow a mobile from my brother to call someone, definitely he will not give me mobile before hiding his girlfriend’s picture. Even in my mobile, I always prefer to hide the docs, images etc because there are many documents in my mobile which contain very sensitive information. My 11 year old cousin loves to play games in my mobile whenever we meet. But many times he deletes my important files by mistake.
Before I understand android in depth, I was used to hide a single file at the same location where it is. But my heads go off whenever I try to find that file. Actually, there are many ways to hide a file in android. Like, turn on app lock, Move files into Vault etc.
But, if someone want to use your mobile and you can’t refuse to share applock password then its game over for you. If you delete vault folder by mistake then you will not be able to get back your files from vault. But, don’t worry. Let’s have an eye on another trick.
How Android Recognize Hidden Files or Hidden Folders
In the android system, if a file or folder name starts with dot (.) then android recognize it as a hidden file or hidden folder. Otherwise it’s a normal file/folder. Android will immediately hide your file/folder, if it finds the file name beginning with dot (.) whether it’s file or folder. Check out the below table.
|Normal Folder||Hidden Folder|
Another very important thing is you will not be able to see any type of hidden file or hidden folder if you have turned OFF the setting “Show Hidden File”. By default, it’s OFF. You have to turn it ON manually in your file manager application. Read here: How to See Hidden File/Folder.
Before we start, you will need a file manager.There are multiple file managers are available in the play store. Some of them are great to use like ES FILE EXPLORER and File Manager by Mi. If you want to use simple file manager then go with Mi file manager otherwise ES FILE EXPLORER is with rich set of functions.
Method-1 (A): Create a Dedicated Hidden Folder (New)
- Open your file manager.
- Create a new folder with name of your choice. But don’t forget to place a dot (.) in the beginning of the folder name.
- Now, transfer your files into a hidden folder.
Method-1 (B): Hide an Existing File/Folder
- Open your file manager and Select your folder to hide. Then select Rename from the menu.
- Now, place the dot in the beginning of the folder name and then press OK. Your folder is hidden.
How to Show Hidden File/Folder
As we discussed above, all of your hidden files and folders can not be seen by default. There is an option to set whether you want to show your hidden files or not. Basically, there are two ways to show hidden files in.
- Open your file manager. Click on Menu (three vertical dots) in the top right corner of area.
- Go to the file manager and click on three horizontal lines in top left corner of the screen. Then click on Settings.
- Setting and find the option “Show Hidden File”. Now, turn it ON to show hidden files and folders. You can turn it OFF to hide hidden files and folders. Screenshot provided here is from MI: File Manager.
Method-2: Hide a File/Folder without renaming it (Hide Image from Gallery)
As you know, android will skip a folder scan if folder name starts with dot. But, here is another trick which u can use to hide your private files from Gallery, Audio Player, and Video Player etc.
- Open your file manager and Go to the path: Whatsapp (folder)
- Open Menu and find the option “Show Hidden File”. Go to Media Folder.
- Now you can see a folder named .Statuses. Open it.
- Copy a file .nomedia
- Go to a folder which you want to hide (from gallery and media player). Paste a file inside a folder. After some time all of your files (within folder) will be hidden from Gallery and Media Players.
- Here, are the examples of the Hidden Folders in Android.
Note: You can see all of the files in File Explorer Only which you hide in the folder containing .nomedia file. But these files are not visible in Gallery, Audio Player, Video Player etc.
Now, you know very well about how to hide a file and folders in android using file manager or file explorer and how to unhide them. If this post helped you then please share it with your friends and family to know about it. If you have any questions then feel free to ask in comment section. We will try our best to help you. Have a great time.
Here are a few hand-picked posts for you to read next:
- How to Transfer a File Wirelessly in 3 Ways (Without Data Cable)?
- How To Block Internet Access in Your Android (for android application) in 2 Ways
- How to Block Internet Access in Windows (3 Ways)
Techy Platform – www.techyplatform.com