What is a Browser Junk?
If you have ever noticed, your browser saves some data. Data about which websites do you visit, what you download, what you search etc. Whenever you use browser to perform an activity it saves some data about that activity and it is useful for both like user and browser. But after sometime it become useless for user and that’s why it is known as browser junk.
For example, if you purchase a lot of things online or you order food often online then you know very well about autofill form. Actually, browser keeps data about your previous activities and it helps you to done work very faster whenever you repeat same activity like sign into your mail ID automatically, see ads of your actual interest.
Is it necessary to Clear a Browser Junk?
Actually, every coin has two sides. These data is created and stored for user and to improve user experience. But, some people use it with bad intention. And here comes the point of security and privacy.
For example, nowadays every people secures their devices with password because they do some personal activities in their device and no one wants to share their personal details with anyone. What happens if someone wants to use your laptop to buy something from online shopping site in which you recently logged in and your credit card or other banking data is stored in your browser. You never wish to share it with anyone. Actually, you stored it for your convenience but it can harm you also if it goes in wrong hands.
These browser data known as history, cookies, cache, stored password etc. How the time passes these data becomes very big and occupies space in hard drive. By clearing these browser junk you can speed up increase your laptop performance and speed.
What to Remove to Clear Browser Junk?
- Browsing History
- Here, you will find data about websites you visit in past or recently. You might be noticed that if you have not cleared your browsing history then your browser will auto completing what you will typing for. Whenever you type something in address bar your browser fills URL of website or what you searched recently (if you have not cleared browsing history). You will not find any auto completion after you remove it. You can clear your browsing history for selected time period also like 1 day, 1 week, all time or recently visited.
- Download History
- As it name suggests it stores your download history. Removing it will not affect your downloaded files. It will only remove it’s record from browser.
- Browsing History
- Autofill Form
- Sometimes you need to provide your details to website like your name, address, mobile number etc. If you choose to save these details in your device, you will not need to enter these whole details again. If you delete it or don’t save these details means you will have to fill in data manually.
- If you save your sign in data in your device then you could get rid of entering these details whenever you visit that website.
- For example, you recently logged out from facebook website and you need to sign in again then you enters few characters of your id (like mobile number or email id) and browser will give you suggestion about matching id which you saved and fills password automatically for that id without entering whole details. If you allows browser to save sign in data (id, password) your browser will help you to sign in faster otherwise you will have to enter all the required details manually.
How to Clear Junk in Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and click on Menu icon (three vertical dots like this ) placed at top-right corner of the window.
- Click on Settings
- Click on Privacy and Security from left side panel
- Click on Clear browsing data. It will open windows to clear browsing data and other junk files.
- By default it will open Basic tab in window. In basic tab you can remove browser junk or you can clear data about browsing history, cookies and cached images. But if you want to remove more browser junk then switch to Advanced tab. In advanced tab, you can clear data which was available in basic tab and in addition here are the option to clear download history, passwords & sign-in data, autofill form data, hosted app data etc.
- You have to check the checkbox(es) for which type of data you want to clear. You can also select the time period like Last hour, Last 7 days, All the time etc. After selecting your time period, Click on Clear data button.
How to Clear Junk in Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and open Menu (three horizontal lines like this ) placed at top-right corner of the window.
- Click on Options
- Click on Privacy and Security
- Click on Clear Data button placed under Cookies and Site Data section header. It will open new dialog box.
- Click on Clear button to Clear Data like Cookies and site data, cached web content.
- Now, scroll down and find History section and then click on Clear History button.
- Click on drop down button to select your time range. This drop down button offers you to clear history about last hour, today or every records of history.
- if you don’t want to store your browsing history, firefox have also an option to disable it. Just select an option that says Never remember history. After selecting it firefox browser will not save any type of your browsing history until you changes the option here.
Tip: If you don’t want to remove browser junk manually then you can use an application/software to remove browser junk. An application named Ccleaner is specially designed and developed to remove junk files from your windows computer. You have to do just few settings according to your need after installation. In future, whenever you need to clean junk files from your windows device Ccleeaner will do it for you in just single click of mouse. You can download Ccleaner from here. Using Ccleaner you can also increase your laptop performance.
Now, you know very well about How to remove browser junk in windows. If this post helped you then please share it with your friends and family to know about it. If you have any questions then feel free to ask in comment section. We will try our best to help you. Have a great time.
Here are a few hand-picked posts for you to read next:
- How to Disable Internet in Windows? in 2 Ways
- Default Download Folder: How to Change It and Why?
- How To Change Or Create Windows Cursor (in 2 ways)
Techy Platform – www.techyplatform.com