Is your Windows 11 performance slow? Don’t worry!!! We are here for you. Windows 11 is the Latest Operating System in Microsoft’s Windows Series. There is no doubt that windows 11 brought a huge bunch of new features and functions. For example, we can edit a look of Taskbar, Virtual Desktops, Refreshing User Interface, Quick Settings and Notifications etc. List of windows 11 features can be very very long. But As all we know, Windows 11 has some requirements to be installed in our machine.
In other words, you will need to do some checks if you want to speed up your device running on windows 11 and specially if your device is old purchased and upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11. According to Microsoft, Windows 11 does a lot of work in memory management to favor the app windows you have open and running in the foreground. Not only memory management, but Microsoft has also improved battery performance in laptop and power plan in desktops, factor related to CPU, Disk usage, Animations and Visual Effects etc.
If your windows 11 device is running slowly or not performing properly then don’t worry, there are plenty of things you can do to speed up your windows 11 laptop or desktop. Here are some tricks and tips to improve your windows 11 device. To speed up windows 11 device, you need to understand the reasons behind low performance of windows 11.
Why Windows 11 is Running Slowly?
Windows 11 is a really very impressive OS that offers and provides a great and unique digital experience, thanks to all those newly included features. If you are bothered by slow windows 11 performance, there could be multiple reasons behind it, even if it comes up with plenty of improvements when compared to Windows 10, some users seem to be interested in making Windows 11 faster.
There are plenty of things that can slow down your device and your operating system also. Reasons behind slow windows 11 performance could be like major update of windows 11 bloatwares, startup programs, issue with an old device, hard disk problem etc. If you have upgraded to Windows 11 from an older version of Windows (10), chances are your computer can have a huge amount of temporary files and unused programs that are putting a strain on your device. There may also be older or missing drivers that need to be updated.
Even machines that come with Windows 11 can get bogged down over time. But don’t worry. In this article, we have included a lots of modifications to improve windows 11 device performance. Fortunately, with some simple housekeeping and maintenance, you can make Windows 11 run fast as you want it to be. Some other things like Unwanted applications / softwares, unnecessary startup programs and background processes can be reasonable factors to slow down your windows 11 performance.
I have seen multiple times that many people avoids hard disk as a reason behind slow windows 11 performance. Now if you know the importance of hard disk in your device performance than it’s a really great thing. But if you don’t know, here we are for you. The older the hard disk, the worse it will be. Common signs for a failing hard drive include sluggish performance, unusual noises (clicking or loud component sounds), and an increased number of corrupted files. These are textbook symptoms for the inevitably of a failing hard drive and action should be taken quickly to save your files from being lost.
Now a days, computer and laptop manufacturers are using SSD to run their device at ultra high speed. But, as of today, many peoples prefers to buy devices with HDD. And the only reason behind it, is a huge price gap between HDD and SSD. Because HDD is much more cheaper than SSD. For example, if price of 1 TB HDD is near about 3 thousand then price of 1 TB SSD can be as high as 7-8 thousand. But as we all know, every coin has a two sides, like that if HDD is cheaper in price then speed of HDD can be very low as compared to SSD. So, SSD can dramatically increase windows 11 performance.
How to Increase Windows 11 Performance?
Now, you know the reasons behind slow windows 11 performance. So it is very necessary for you to know the effective methods which can help to boost the speed of windows 11. Here are the ways to getting rid of slow windows 11 performance. All the methods shown below have instructions, so to achieve effective results, make sure to follow them in a particular order.
Update and Restart
Restarting a device can solve a many types of problems which can’t be traced in troubleshooting, it’s like a grandmother’s tricks. In other words, restarting a device can help to get rid of problem without being a techy guy. But sometimes there can be a bug in windows and it can be resolved by updating a windows. So, before restarting a device we will check for any new updates in windows.
To check any new updates in windows, open a Settings menu by pressing a windows button from keyboard and select Settings. Now click on a Windows Update option placed at a bottom of left side panel. Click on Check for Updates. Now, system will check if any new updates are available. If there’s anything new you need to get, update it. You may have to wait for a while to finish update process. System may automatically restart your device during the process of update.
Disable Background apps
After your device starts, there are hundreds of apps runs in the background (known as a background apps) even if you don’t open/run any program, file or a folder. These unnecessary background apps are also can be a reason behind slow windows 11 performance. You should check this out to get more details about background apps. Let’s go to disable these unnecessary background apps.
- Open Settings app then click on Apps from left side menu and Select Apps & Features from right side options. Here, you will find a list of installed applications. Look for the application you want to disable (from running in the background) and click on the three-dot menu icon next to the application.
- Select an option Advanced options. You will get the available options for selected application.
- Go to the option titled as Background apps permissions. Here, Power optimized (recommended) option could be selected as default option in the drop down list. Now, select option Never from the drop down list to disable your selected application from running in the background.
That’s it. You can close the Settings app now. System will save all the changes you made.
- You can also stop an application from Task Manager which is already running in the background. To open Task Manager, right-click on the Windows icon and select the Task Manager option. Look for the app you want to disable, and then click the End Task option at the bottom (see the image given below).
Uninstall Unwanted Software/Bloatware
By removing unnecessary softwares, you will get some space for your machine and it will increase a speed of your machine and windows 11 performance. By doing this, you are actually killing two birds with one stone. Confused? Let me clear you. When you uninstall any software,
(1) you’re freeing up some space occupied by that application from the C drive or from the drive where the app was installed.
(2) every application has its own service(s) or process(es), without it app can’t execute/run. Some services are always running in background. After uninstallation of software, those services won’t be running in background and that’s why your RAM can handle another tasks more efficiently. And over all impact will results into speed and execution improvement to your windows 11 performance. Let’s move on to the next step.
- Open Settings app by pressing the Windows button + I keys together.
- Select Apps from the left side menu and then select Apps and Features from the available options on the right side.
- Here, you will find a list of installed applications. Once you find the application you want to uninstall, click on the three-dot menu icon next to the application. Select Uninstall.
Disable Startup Programs/Apps
Startup programs are programs which run automatically when a system is booted. For example, Skype, Cortana, Microsoft Teams and OneDrive are the programs that decreases boot time of your device and that results into long waiting time of booting. So, let’s disable unwanted startup programs and step into a direction to improve the windows 11 performance.
- Go to the Settings option (either by clicking on the Start menu or by pressing Windows+I).
- Next step is to select Apps option from left side menu, and then click on Startup.
- Once you get the list of Startup apps, turn off them by toggling the On/Off button. Don’t worry If you don’t know which app should remain closed while booting, we have created a shortlist for you. In future, when you will install a new program, that program may be added in startup apps list. So don’t forget to turn them off to avoid slowing down a windows 11 performance.
You can also use the Task Manager to Disable Startup Programs. Let’s see, how to disable startup program using Task Manager.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together and open the Task Manager.
- Once the Task Manager menu appears, click on the More details option.
- Now, go to the Startup tab. In Startup tab, all the apps are listed which are automatically starts when system boots.Right click on the application and select the option Disable. One another thing to be noted is Last BIOS time placed at uper-right corner of top of the startup list (see in image). The more apps you disable, the more your machine’s BIOS time will decrease and that is a very great thing for the windows 11 performance.
Disable Notifications and Tips
Almost every windows user receives notifications about their machine’s security, their usage, tips and tricks about system, performance improvement etc. But most of the time people neglects these notifications by hitting the close button of notification popup without reading the notifications details. And let me tell you, these notifications are not generated randomly.
To give you a simple notification, your system (windows itself) keeps running the scan in background and this slows down your windows 11 performance. Tell me just one thing, if you don’t want to read the notification, then why don’t you turn off it and improve your windows 11 performance?
- Open Settings by clicking on the Windows button. You can also use the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut Windows + I to open Settings directly. Please note that Windows + I shortcut will not work in older version of windows. You can find here the list of keyboard shortcut of windows programs.
- Select System from the left side menu, and then select Notifications from the options available on the right side.
- Here, you can see the two options below the list. And the options are (1) Offer suggestions on how can I set up my device (2) Get tips and suggestions when I use Windows
- Next step is to disable both of them. You can also disable the notifications for the apps which are displayed in list like Google Chrome, Microsoft Store etc. But to turn off the notification for Security and Maintenance (in list) is not recommended. It can put your device at higher risk.
That’s it. No more changes are required. You can close the settings app.
Defragment Hard Disk
After passage of time, files on the hard disk can become scattered. Before you move ahead to defrag your HDD, you must be aware of what is defragmentation. Defragmentation is the process of reorganizing the scattered data stored on the hard drive. In other words, defragmentation is like cleaning your house. Defragmentation is also known as Defrag or Defragging.
- Press windows button and search the word Defragment. You will get the app titled Defragment and Optimise Drives, select it.
- First of all, Select the C drive and click on Optimize button to start the process. When the defragmentation process is complete for C drive, repeat the same process for other drives available in your system.
You will surely notice the windows 11 performance improvement like faster speeds and less loading time when using your device after defragmentation. Defragment and Optimise Drives feature is an updated version of Disk Defragmenter which was used to defrag the drives in older version of windows.
Disable Game Mode
Everyone knows that Windows had developed an excellent program/function specially for Gamers and that is a Game Mode. In windows, Game Mode is designed to help to achieve a more stable frame rate depending on the specific game and system. But as a second side of the coin, this game mode can affect the windows 11 performance and windows 10 also. Actually, Game Mode is ON by default in windows 10 PCs.
So if you are doing any tasks like watching a movie, working with MS Office tools, Browsing a internet then game mode will do nothing for you. But whenever you starts playing the game, windows will allocate resources to your game. So you can play a game very smoothly and efficiently. But in some cases, game mode can decrease the windows 11 performance. So if you have nothing to do with the game mode, it is better to turn off it to increase windows 11 performance. And by disabling game mode, DVR and other Xbox-related services will be stopped in the background.
- Open Settings app and select Gaming and then click on Game mode.
- Turn off the toggle for game mode.
- Go back and click on Xbox Game Bar. Disable the toggle for Xbox Game Bar.
- Repeat the same steps for Captures and disable the toggle for Captures.
That’s it. You can close the Settings app now. All the changes will be saved automatically.
Change Power Mode
Almost in every version of windows, Microsoft provided a three power plans. (1) Best battery life (power efficiency) (2) Best performance (3) Balance between battery life and performance. By default, Windows 11 uses a Balanced power mode that automatically balances performance with energy consumption on capable hardware.
However, depending on your device or situation, you can change the power mode to save energy (and battery life) or to increase a windows 11 performance at the cost of more energy consumption. But you can choose any plan whichever is best suitable for you. But keep in mind, long term usage of Best performance plan can affect your battery life. So if you are performance oriented, and can compromise with your battery life then choose the Best performance plan. You can read a dedicated tutorial on how to change power mode on Windows 11.
Disable Restartable Apps
Generally, I put my laptop in Hibernation mode instead of Shut down it. So, I can continue my work from where I left it, whenever I get back to work. For example, whenever you open a chrome, you got a new tab. For example, whenever you open the Chrome browser, you get a new tab. But if you select the option Where You Left Off in Chrome, the next time you open Chrome, Chrome will show you the tab you opened last time. Likewise, Windows 11 have a function that can save applications to reopen them on the next Sign-in or Reboot.
This feature saves time and makes it easy to quickly get back to unfinished work. Actually, this is a very nice feature, but it can decrease a windows 11 performance. If you have a high configured and powerful PC then this can be a good feature. But for older computers, disabling it would help you speed up Windows 11 performance.
- Hold the Windows + I keys together to open a Settings app.
- Select Accounts from the left sidebar, then tap on Sign-in options from the right sidebar.
- Turn Off the toggle Automatically save my restartable apps and restart them when I sign back in. If you want to Enable this feature, switch the toggle to On position.
Free Up Disk Space
Disk space plays a very important role in increasing/decreasing windows 11 performance. So, you have to free up disk space in different ways, because it is not the task you can do by snapping the fingers. So, we are going to discuss here one by one.
Clean Your Desktop
Most of the people have a habit that they save anything on the desktop, whether it is a small file or a large file. Actually, the desktop is a part of the system and not a separate logical drive for storing any other data. So, whatever you save on the desktop, the burden of all that data will be on your device because those files take up operating memory and it will decrease the windows 11 performance.
To reduce the extra burden of your system, delete all of the extra files from desktop that you don’t need. In case, if those files are important and you can’t afford to delete them, you can also move those files to another drive, so it will not affect the windows 11 performance.
Remove Temporary Files
You can easily get the idea about temporary files from it’s name. Temporary files are used to hold the temporary data that is created by windows itself or the applications. These files are known as Temp files or foo files. Temporary files name ends with .temp extension. When you are using some editing software like image editing, video editing, audio editing (Photoshop, Filmora, Lightroom etc), temporary files will be created for your “work in progress”.
These files make your programs faster and smoother, and they also serve as a backup in case your system or program crashes accidentally. Actually, temporary files are not created to be saved, and these files can end up occupying a lot of space and your machine will have to handle the burden of these temporary files and ultimately your device will be slowed down. So it will not harmful to delete temporary files but in fact, removing temporary files will improve windows 11 performance.
- To Open Run option, press the keys Windows+R simultaneously. Type %temp% and hit the OK button.
- Now, you are landed to the temporary files folder without knowing it’s complicated path. Press Ctrl+A to select all the files and folders. Right click on selected items, click on the Dustbin icon to remove all of the temporary files. You can also hit the Delete button.
To learn more about temporary files, Click Here.
Clean Download Folder
As we discussed above, Desktop and Downloads folders are just a folder, like any other folder in our system. The bigger the data you put in your downloads folder, the more heavy it will be for your system. So first of all, check your download folder to find the unnecessary data like videos, audios, pdf documents and any other files which can be burden to your operating system and can lead to decrease a windows 11 performance. Like we did in the Clean Your Desktop method discussed above, in the same way we have to remove the unnecessary garbage from the download folder.
You can also move the important documents to another drive. One another trick to share with you is to change the default download folder. As all we know, Windows has already fixed a default Downloads folder and that folder is a part of the system. So whenever you download something from a browser, it will be saved into your default download folder, whether your browser is a Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Microsoft edge or any other.
Because all most every browser have a same default download folder. Now, the trick is to change a default download folder. So, all of your downloaded data goes into another drive every time, and your C drive will remain burden free. You can read here a dedicated step-by-step tutorial to change a default download folder.
Use the Disk Cleanup Tool
Disk Cleanup Tool is used to delete unnecessary operating system files to boost windows 11 performance. If we choose to remove these useless and unnecessary system files manually then it will be a very difficult task, but Microsoft has made it for our convenience, so that we can remove these inessential files very easily without any hassle in few clicks. The Disk Cleanup utility scans the media, and look for useless files.
- Tap the Windows key and search for disk cleanup. Click on the Disk Cleanup Desktop app from the search results.
- Select the drive you want to clean up. To clean a disc, first option should be drive C, and system will select it for you. Once the cleaning of C drive is over, after that you can select another drive also.
- I don’t know why some of the items are not checked in the list. But trust me, all of the items listed in dialog box should be deleted and is not important for you anyhow. So check all of the boxes listed in dialog box.
- Click OK button. System will show you a confirmation dialog with text Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?. Click on Delete files button to begin the cleanup process. You might wait for some time depending on files to be clean. When the process will complete, the window will be closed.
Delete Big Sized Files
- Open windows explorer by pressing Windows button + E and select This PC from sidebar. Type size: in the search box placed at top-right corner. You will get a list of file size range, starting from Empty to Gigantic. We suggest you to select an option Gigantic. So, system will display a list of files with size bigger than 128 mb.
- Please note that you may have to wait a little longer because your system needs time to find large files from all over your PC. Lookup for unnecessary big sized files from the list and then delete those files. Do this with all of the larger file sizes until you get your hard drive space to a reasonable level. So you can get the extra space for your device which will result into windows 11 performance improvement.
Enable Storage Sense
Storage Sense is Off by default. But if you enable it, it will run when your device is low on disk space and will clean up unnecessary temporary files. Storage sense works on C drive only, which is the drive of windows operating system. And bear in mind that data stored in downloads folder and OneDrive content will not be managed unless you setup storage sense to do so. Storage sense will display notifications when your drive will be running out of free space. One important thing to notice is storage sense will not run if you’re signed off and not online for more than 10 minutes. Let’s move on to Enable Storage Sense.
- Open Settings, and click on System in the sidebar.
- Select option Storage and then click on Enable Storage Sense.
Remove Previous Windows Installation(s)
If you purchase new laptop/PC with pre-installed windows 11, your device will not have older files of previous OS installations. But, if you upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 then your device may store temporary files of windows 10 on windows 11 system. Actually, your system saves those files intentionally, so you can roll back your system from windows 11 to windows 10 (if you want to do).
But, those files can slow down a windows 11 performance, because they occupies very huge memory (in GB) and in addition those files are needless, if you don’t want to rollback your system. So, if you don’t want to go back to windows 10, then it will be good for your system to remove previous windows installations and temporary files that don’t have any use on Windows 11. Previous Windows Installation(s) files are also known as windows.old.
- Select System by right clicking on windows icon placed on taskbar and then select Storage from left side menu/panel.
- Now, select Temporary files.
- Tick the box of Previous Windows Installation(s), if it’s not already checked.
- Click on Remove files button.
- You can also tick the box of Windows Update Cleanup. It is clearly mentioned there that windows stores updates copies even after it is installed. So, you can also free up some space by removing the update copies.
Disable Animations and Visual Effects
It’s a great visual treat to watch animation in windows 11. If you have a high configured PC/Laptop, then you do not have to worry about the performance of the system. But, in low configuration device, apps can response slowly and operations can be a little time consuming depending on your device configuration. By default, animation effects are turned On for controls and elements in Windows 11. We can turn off animations and visual effects in multiple ways. Here, we are going to do the same, using Setting app.
- Open Settings app using Windows button + I keyboard shortcut.
- Select Accessibility from the left side bar.
- Look for the option Visual effects in right pane and then toggle the switch for Transparency effects, setting it to Off. Likewise, disable the toggle for Animation effects as shown in image given below.
Disable Visual Effects and Animations
- Select Personalisation in Settings app. Click on Colors from right pane.
- Now, disable the toggle for Transparency effects. Congo. We have disabled Transparency effects for the Colors.
- Our next step is to go for the performance plan. Open Start menu by pressing windows key and search for View advanced system settings and then open it.
- Go to the Advanced tab. Click on Settings button under Performance section.
- Now, select an option Adjust for best performance. Click on Apply and then OK.
Disable VBS (For Gamers)
VBS stands for Virtualization-Based Security. VBS is a technology developed to protect the operating system and device against malware, ransomware attacks and other threat attacks. 0745 In simple words, viruses often targets Windows built-in security mechanisms to gain access to critical system resources and to break windows code authentication methods to damage your system.
VBS hosts these built-in security mechanisms of windows (aka security solutions) in isolated part of memory where threats can’t reach. Because VBS keeps security solutions seperate from rest of the OS. So, VBS ensures windows security by protecting the ways from where vulnerabilities can bypass the OS protections. One of these protections is Hypervisor-Enforced Code Integrity (HVCI). HVCI uses VBS to implement enhanced code integrity checks. HVCI ensures that only trusted code is loaded into memory.
HVCI is also known as Memory Integrity. We can say that duty of VBS is to keep critical security solutions separate from everything else. So, if any type of malware attack takes a place then HVCI will protect security solutions because VBS will enough competent to put a stop point for malicious code to do a handshake with security solutions. But, if we look at second side of a coin, performance drop can rise upto 10%-20% due to VBS. According to Microsoft, VBS can be disabled to increase gaming performance of windows 11 devices. To know more about VBS, click here.
- Open Settings, select Privacy & security and then click on Windows security.
- Next, select Device security.
- Now, click on Core isolation details under Core isolation segment.
- Switch Off the toggle for Memory integrity.
- You may get a prompt message by UAC (User Account Control), click on Yes to approve.
- Select option Restart to restart your device, so memory integrity can get disabled safely.
Upgrade RAM and SSD
As all we know, RAM is used to store a short-term data. In other words, RAM works as a short-term data storage. To increase windows 11 performance, one of the affordable improvements you can make is to increase the RAM. And upgrading a RAM won’t leave a big hole in your pocket. RAM upgradation will definitely help to improve windows 11 performance. But how will you find that your device needs more RAM? The simple answer to this question is depends on your needs.
- First of all, open/start all of the applications you use in routine tasks. Now, open Task Manager by pressing the keys ctrl + shift + esc together.
- Go to Performance tab and notice the percentage of used memory. If you find numbers more than 80% memory in use, then your device surely needs a RAM upgradation.
One another case you can consider to upgrade RAM is installing a newer version of operating system and your software programs like games, video and image editing software’s. Because when a program is updated, old bugs are removed from that program and new functions are implemented for user convenience.
Similarly, new hardware components such as graphics cards, storage drives, and even processors require enough memory to deliver the expected performance levels. For example, if you have a device with a 4 GB RAM, then you won’t be able to complete a tasks easily such as edit a 4K video or to play a game with high graphic demand. Even if you start to do your task, you will not complete it as smoothly as you want it to be, because modern applications require much more resources of random access memory.
Have you ever wondered why SSD is so much faster than HDD? Because HDD has moving parts like spinning platter, mechanical read/writhe arm etc. Hard disk drives (HDDs) store data on a series of spinning magnetic disks called platters. But in SSD the data is saved electronically (data is stored on a series of NAND chips).
If you are still using HDD to save your data then it’s time to replace a HDD with SSD. Because HDD may be cheaper than SSD in price and have more storage compared to SSD but HDD can never beat SSD in speed and stil come out on top. One thing to note is the high storage capacity of HDDs. The more storage there is in the HDD, the more data you will save and the more data you save, the more the speed of the disk will decrease. And due to less storage capacity in the SSD, you will not save unused things.
Now, you know very well about how to improve windows 11 performance. If this post helped you then please share it with your friends and family to know about it. If you have any questions then feel free to ask in comment section. We will try our best to help you. Have a great time.
Here are a few hand-picked posts for you to read next:
- Top 2 Great Tricks to Hide/Show Hard Disk Partition
- Boost Your Download Speed Upto 5X using Internet Download Manager
- Change Default Programs in Windows 7
Techy Platform – www.techyplatform.com